How do I know if I’m drinking too much?

There are many simple questionnaires that help to screen for problem drinking. Here’s one called the T-ACE.

1) Tolerance: Does it take more drinks than it used to to make you feel high?

2) Have people annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?

3) Have you ever felt you ought to cut down on your drinking?

4) Eye-opener: Have you ever had a drink first thing in the morning to steady your nerves or get rid of a hangover?

If you answered ‘yes’ to 2 or more questions, it’s an indication of problem drinking, although you should consult a professional if you suspect your drinking is causing problems regardless of how you score on this or any other test. Call us at (717) 299-2831 to find out what steps you can take to lower your risk.

Click here to take the AUDIT, a 10-question alcohol use screening test.

Where do I go to get help?

Getting a drug and alcohol evaluation, also called an assessment, is the first place to start. Any outpatient treatment provider can assist you in getting an evaluation. (View outpatient treatment providers in Lancaster County or scroll down to find information on neighboring counties.)

If you are not sure where to start, contact our Information & Referral Team at (717) 299-2831 or M-F / 9am to 5pm. Your call or email is confidential.

How do I pay for treatment for alcohol, drug or gambling issues?

Do you have Insurance, an HMO, Medical Assistance (Medicaid), OR Veterans Benefits?

Yes, I have. . . Insurance, an HMO, or Medical Assistance (Medicaid) – Most insurance companies cover drug & alcohol treatment. Contact your company to determine what is covered and how to properly access this benefit. It is important that you follow the correct procedures. In some cases, pre-authorization is required. Also, some treatment facilities will assist you in working with your insurance company.

Yes, I have. . . Veterans Benefits – Most military veterans are eligible for drug & alcohol treatment services. Both the Lebanon and Coatesville VA Hospitals provide this treatment. Call (800) 409-8771 Ext. 4543.

No, I don’t have insurance and I cannot self-pay – If you think you may need inpatient withdrawal management (detox) you must call either:

  • White Deer Run Call Center- (866) 769-6822 or
  • PA Adult & Teen Challenge- (844) 888-8085

They will ask some questions, and if  you are appropriate for detox, they will begin a bed search to look for treatment accommodations for you. They will also help you determine if you are eligible for County funding, or help you determine how to pay for your treatment.

If you do not need detox, but you think you may need inpatient rehab, call and make an appointment with an outpatient clinic for an evaluation/assessment and a financial liability review. That outpatient clinic will help you find a rehab bed if that’s what you need.

No, I don’t have insurance, but I can Self-Pay – If you have the ability to pay for your drug & alcohol treatment, you may choose any facility you can afford. Check out our Outpatient and Inpatient Treatment pages or call us for a customized referral at (717) 299-2831 M-F, 9am-5pm.

Rehab or outpatient? How do I know what kind of help I need?

You can be assessed directly at any outpatient treatment provider. The levels of care you may be referred into include:

  • Outpatient– Regularly scheduled counseling sessions, either individual or in a group with others, totaling no more than 5 hours per week
  • Intensive Outpatient– Like outpatient, but takes place at least 3 days per week, up to 10 hours.
  • Partial Hospitalization– For clients who would benefit from more structure, but who do not require 24-hour care, this outpatient level is at least 3 days per week for a minimum of 10 hours.
  • Residential Rehabilitation– Professionally directed 24-hour care, either short-term; for 1 to 3 months in duration, or long-term; several months to several years. The client lives at the facility and participates in individual and group activities designed to “rehabilitate” the client back to a drug-free life.
  • Inpatient Withdrawal Management (Detox)– Provides 24-hour care to clients during the period of time that the body is eliminating the intoxicating substance. During this time, the client may experience withdrawal symptoms and may require counseling and support. The duration of this service is usually 2 to 7 days, and the client is then referred to residential rehabilitation, a halfway house, or outpatient counseling.
  • Halfway House– This treatment level is often used to help clients make the transition from a residential rehab to living in society again. Clients live in a supportive, home-like setting and work on life skills and maintaining a drug-free life. Clients usually have jobs and attend 12-step meetings. Usually lasts 3 to 6 months.

What are my treatment options outside of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania?

You can also contact our Information & Referral Team for a customized referral at (717) 299-2831 or M-F / 9am to 5pm. Your call or email is confidential.

My loved one or I need a support group for issues relating to alcohol, other drugs, gambling and more.